Why this blog?

"If you are careful," Garp wrote, "if you use good ingredients, and you don't take any shortcuts, then you can usually cook something very good. Sometimes it is the only worthwhile product you can salvage from a day; what you make to eat. With writing, I find, you can have all the right ingredients, give plenty of time and care, and still get nothing. Also true of love. Cooking, therefore, can keep a person who tries hard sane."
from John Irving's novel, The World According to Garp

Monday, January 24, 2011

Pigs In A Blanket

Unless I'm making something special for some kind of family gathering or doing a big family dinner, this is as close to cooking as I usually do on the weekends.  It's our favorite weekend breakfast, suitable for munching while playing PS3, writing, reading, or watching TV.  Pure junk food, too - for pity's sake, if you have this for breakfast, eat a banana, too.  And oh yeah, it works great as a party food, too - not classy, but I guarantee you won't throw any out afterwards.

Ingredients:

1 package of cocktail sausages (I use regular Lil Smokies by Hillshire Farms, my sister cuts up hot dogs)
1 tube of refrigerated crescent rolls (the kind you whomp on the counter to open)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray.

Open up the cocktail sausages.  Whomp open the crescent rolls.  Unroll the crescent roll dough and cut the rectangles apart, but NOT the triangles - you'll get four big rectangles.  Cut each rectangle into six reasonably equal strips.  (I cut'em in half first, then cut each half into thirds.)  Wrap each strip around a cocktail sausage.  Put it on the pan.  You don't have to worry about leaving too much space between each one; the dough isn't going to rise much.  I fit all of mine on one big cookie sheet, four across and six down.

Bake until golden brown, about 7 minutes.  (Watch'em after 5; they burn fast.) 

You'll have about a third of a package of sausages left.  This past weekend, I bought two tubes of rolls, too.  Saturday we had all pigs in blankets; Sunday we had half pigs in blankets and half crescent rolls with butter.  This makes 24 units, obviously, which in our house serves 2.  More motivated cooks with less piggy eaters could make scrambled eggs and such to go with them and make this recipe go much further, I'm sure.  I dip mine in mustard (horseradish mustard is AWESOME on these); Max prefers his plain.  And I suspect he could eat the whole batch all by himself if I weren't around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment